What is Garlic Poisoning?
According to a study, dogs and cats make up 95–98 percent of all reported cases of animal poisoning.
You may have heard the phrase “garlic poisoning” tossed around in reference to dogs, but you may not know exactly what it is or why it’s a problem.
Garlic poisoning occurs when a dog eats garlic. Garlic is toxic to dogs, and can lead to vomiting and diarrhea, as well as inflamed skin, hyperthermia (an elevation in body temperature), and even death.
The exact reason why garlic is so harmful to dogs isn’t known—but there are some theories. Some experts believe that garlic causes damage to red blood cells by inhibiting their ability to carry oxygen into the body. Others believe that the chemical allicin (which produces garlic’s strong flavor) disrupts the body’s ability to regulate its temperature. And some think it could be both!
Symptoms of Garlic Poisoning in Dogs
Garlic poisoning in dogs is a real thing. It’s not just something made up by your vet to scare you into buying his products.
Here are some of the most common symptoms:
- increased thirst and urination
- lethargy (sleepiness)
- loss of appetite
- pale gums and skin coloration due to lack of red blood cells (anemia)
- elevated heart rate and blood pressure (hypertension)
- rapid breathing (tachypnea)
- rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)
- low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia)
- liver failure resulting from damage caused by high levels of allicin found in raw garlic sprouts which can cause severe liver damage leading to death if left untreated
Diagnosis of Garlic Poisoning in Dogs
Garlic poisoning in dogs can be difficult to diagnose.
The first thing you need to do is take your dog to the vet immediately, even if he seems like he’s doing fine. Garlic poisoning can cause symptoms that look like other problems, so it’s important to rule out any other possible causes.
If your vet suspects garlic poisoning, they may run some tests on your dog’s urine and blood. These tests will help them determine if your dog has been poisoned by garlic and how much of it was consumed.
If the results show that your dog has consumed a large amount of garlic, then your vet might recommend an IV drip so that they can flush out his system more quickly. If you don’t get him an IV immediately after eating too much garlic, it could lead to serious health issues like kidney failure or death!
We’re here to fix all your pet problems.
Your pets deserve the best, and we’ve got the services you need to keep them healthy and happy. From preventative care to microchipping, vaccination, and more—we have it all at Exceptional Pets Green Valley!
Solve all your pet problems with us today and give your furry friend the best chance at a long and healthy life!
To learn more about our services or book an appointment, please contact us today. We look forward to hearing from you!
Other Post You Might Enjoy:
Socialization in Dogs
Exceptional Pets News
Did you know that dogs can and should be socialized at any point in their life? From puppies to senior dogs, socialization is important to help dogs manage their stress levels around a variety of peop...
The Top 5 Reasons Why Exercise Is Important for Pets
Exceptional Pets News
Pet owners who exercise with a pet are more likely to stick to their fitness plans. And what's more, their pets enjoy the exercise just as much as they do. But exercising your pets provides more than ...